Tuesday, March 20, 2012

The Zing of Spring

I discovered what the strange zizz was in the air yesterday evening - a champagne fizzle in the pink dusk that made me tingle as I walked along the Seine to Shakespeare and Co.

Spring burst upon the city overnight. Trees that were bare and square yesterday are clouded with a fine, green haze.

Yes, I did say square.



Paris likes its trees square. The city is run with military precision and designed by an obsessive mathematician; more on that later. For now, I'm worried - do square trees grow round in the spring?

Above me, the green buds of a chestnut tree are opening like a newborn's fingers. They tremble, still too raw and tender for the world. I swear this park is greening, moment by moment, as I watch.



So that's what I felt waiting in the dusk last night - the zing of spring.



No comments:

Post a Comment